Anderson Park Art Gallery
Anderson Park Art Gallery has been charged with the care, collection and curation of Invercargill’s civic art collection since its formation in 1951. Steadily growing since this time, the gallery has built a comprehensive collection of visual and applied arts that encompasses early European through to contemporary New Zealand works. There is a strong representation of local artists and works relating to Southland.
Closure of Anderson House
In January 2014, when the Invercargill City Council were investigating the susceptibility of all their buildings to seismic events, Anderson House unfortunately did not met the current minimum standards required. As a result, Anderson House is currently closed to the public. Whilst the APAG Council are in the process of securing us an alternative venue, Anderson Park Art Gallery still remains actively involved in the Invercargill arts scene. Our curatorial staff are committed to delivering an ongoing and engaging exhibition program, where possible, in various locations around the south. Please keep an eye on our 'upcoming' and 'current' exhibition pages for more information.
When most people visit Invercargill's Anderson Park, they tend to miss the Maori meeting house tucked in amongst the overgrowth at the back of the house.
The tukutuku panels on the outside can be admired by visitors, but the room inside is closed to the public.